Home

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Green Tomatoes..


                                                       Of which I have a BUNCH!

They just aren't getting ripe! I think the New Mexico heat is just too much for them this year. But from the sounds of it there are a lot of people just not having a good tomato year. So, rather than having fried green tomatoes all the time, I decided to see what I could do with green tomatoes. I searched the internet and found some very interesting ways to use them. Like mock raspberry jam and green tomato and jalapeno jam. The green tomato jam peeked my interest and I decided to try it and much to my surprise it was amazing. And very easy to make!
First you pick one pound of green tomatoes
Aren't they pretty!
Next your  Mise en Place--everything in place
5 Jalapenos 
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup cilantro and mint
1 inch piece of ginger
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 cups sugar
and of course
1 lb green tomatoes
Peel and dice tomatoes and set aside.
Roughly chop herbs and veggies and puree in food processor along with vinegar and soy sauce.
Place the pureed mixture into a sauce pan and add the green tomatoes and sugar. 
Bring to a boil.
Simmer until thickens.
About 45 minutes.
I must admit that while it was simmering, I wasn't sure I'd like it too much. There was an overwhelming smell of soy sauce in the air. But as soon as it was done I tasted it and it was AMAZING! There is a slight soy taste but it is not overpowering and it packs a punch! I will definitely make this again.

For dinner I sauted some onion and patty pan squash and an okra from the garden and added about 2 cups of shredded chicken and added about a half of jar of the tomato jam and heated it through, it was really tasty. 



No comments:

Post a Comment