Home

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Cinnamon-Raisin Graham Bread

I get on these kicks where I want to make everything homemade, EVERYTHING. About a year ago I was on one of these said kicks and I ordered Graham flour and square cookie cutters to make homemade graham crackers. Why not, right? I had good intentions but we all know what they say about those. Anyway, needless to say I have never made the graham crackers. The reality of things are at the time I was homeschooling my kids and working two part time jobs and I did sleep sometimes. So the dreams of making homemade graham crackers and goldfish were just that, dreams. 

Anyway, today I was staring into my pantry to find something to make and I saw the Graham flour and decided to make the recipe on the back of the bag. It just passed the sell by date so I have to use it up....I have 3 bags of it. I have raisin bread on my grocery list so I am thinking that this Cinnamon-Raisin Graham Bread will fix my craving. Raisin bread reminds me of my Granny. The first time I ever had it was during one of the summers spent with her down the shore. I miss those carefree summer days that seemed to last forever, the suntans, beach hair, hanging out with the Jersey family, getting into trouble with my favorite cousin, but most of all hanging with Granny. She was a sweet but tough lady that is very missed. So, about twice a year I get a craving for some raisin bread toast and it has to be the raisin bread in the red bag.

This recipe was pretty easy to make and it smelled amazing even before it was being baked, there is just something about the smell of warm molasses.  

In mixer bowl simply mix:
2-21/2 cups of unbleached white flour
1 package Active Dry yeast
 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
 1/4 ts. ground ginger


 In a small saucepan combine, 1 c. milk
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. molasses
1/2 c. salt
3 Tbsp. butter
Heat and stir until warm, around 115*F
 Add mixture to flour. Mix for 3 minutes. Stir in 3 c. Graham Flour and 1 c. Raisins, mix to combine.  
 Then change to a dough hook and knead for 5 minutes.

Put in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for one hour in a warm place.







Separate dough into two
pieces, form each into 
a ball and let rest for 10 minutes. Prepare two pie pans and add balls of dough to each pan and press down to form a 6 inch diameter. Let rise another 30 minutes. Then bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. 

       Then enjoy with lots of butter! 

Oh! And today the girls made a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the freezer. A whole loafs worth. They were so happy and probably a bit surprised that I let them do it all by themselves, but I did.  I saw this idea on Jamerrill Stewart's vlog. It's just like uncrustables with the crust. These will be great for quick lunches. 

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment