Home

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Menu Plan Monthly


Why monthly? Because going to the grocery store exhausts me! Really, it does. It's the finding a parking spot, walking 3 miles to get in the door, wrangling two 7 year olds, the people, the lack of cashiers, the walking, oh, and the people. Then you have to come home and lug all the groceries in, put them away and then it's almost always dinner time so I make pb&j's and call it a day. It's exhausting. So I only do it once a month with the occasional stop to get some lettuce and almond milk or the 5 other things I forgot to get when I did my monthly shopping. 

We don't have too many options for grocery stores in my little town. Just two. One is more expensive but locally owned and the other store is a store that will go unnamed but you know it. Oh yes, you do. The locally owned store has great sales that I do shop when I am feeling particularly inspired to save money but the other store has everything you need, its one stop shopping. When you don't like shopping that's a great thing. It's kinda worth putting up with all the people and the walking.

And I only have to menu plan once a month. I'm a foodie and love to cook so that part isn't the selling part for me because it kinda feels like it stifles my creative cooking juices. If I really want to try something new I will get it when I stop for bananas halfway through the month or start next months list early, like I did for this month. 

This is the big plan for July:

Israeli Cous-cous & cheese w/ pork chops and a veg

Meatloaf (w/ hamberger and pork sausage) mashed potatoes & gravy, corn and green beans.
Sesame Chicken (my favorite!)
Lentil tacos (this is a new one for me)
Black beans ( I use the pioneer women's recipe- tweaked a little)
Black bean and brown rice burgers (these are surprisingly good)
Glug (our version of spaghetti carbonara- A family favorite)
Chick Pea Curry (new recipe) & rice
BBQ Pork Chops, rice pilaf (my Mema's recipe)
Crock pot Chalupas (new recipe)
Farmer's Pork Chops w/ Salad
Steak Sandwiches
Pork Ribs (done on the BBQ) corn on the  cob and salad
Pork Steak w/ au gratin potatoes and salad
Mahi Mahi  Fish Tacos (done on the grill) (these are the best tacos)  w/ mexican street corn

I like to have some meals prepped and in the freezer for those busy days:
Baked Ziti
Shepard's Pie (A family Favorite)
Chicken Teriyaki (ready for the crock pot)


That's only 19 meals and there are 31 days in July, I know. My family, my mom, brother and sister and their families all get together once a week for family dinner. I love that we do this, its really special time. We eat,the cousins play,the women play canasta while the men go on "man walks." We decide on a weekly basis what we are going to make and who brings what, and trust me I try not to have to go to the store!!!! Then there are leftover days, at least once per week so that brings me to 27 meals. Our son is coming to stay with us for a few days while he is on vacation from work, so I let him pick the meals he wants me to make and he hasn't told me yet...AND our daughter and her boyfriend and my grandson Fionn are coming to visit all the way from Mississippi this month. SO EXCITED and I will let her pick her meals too. Guess I will be going to the store a few times this month, but they are worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment