Home

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The 50 Cent Meal Challenge week 4 & 5 and what we ate last week

 The 50 Cent Meal Challenge is a joint effort between two sisters in different regions and with different challenges.  Tina lives in Ohio with her husband and son, and is learning to stretch her shrunken budget while trying to develop an old fashioned, basic approach to cooking.  Jen lives in New Mexico with her husband and they are Foster Parents who are learning the art of flexibility. They live on a single income and are joining this challenge for the sake of the challenge.  Tina and Jen are planning their family groceries on a 250.00 budget for 6 weeks.


Ok I have slacked off, I know, so here is the catch-up post of weeks 4 and 5.
Week 4 September 5-11

  • Monday
    • Pancakes
    • leftover beans
    • Chicken and rice casserole
  • Tuesday
    • Cereal
    • Pb&j sandwiches
    • Leftover chicken casserole
  • Wednesday 
    • Cereal
    • Sandwiches
    • Tuna Casserole
  • Thursday
    • Cereal
    • pizza rolls
    • Green chile enchiladas (I forgot to add the chicken..)
  • Friday
    • Toast
    • tuna casserole
    • leftover enchiladas
  • Saturday I don't remember what we had!!
  • Sunday
    • cereal 
    • Out for chinese ($8)
    • snacked
The only thing I had to buy at the store this week was Milk 3.49, cereal 2.48,  bread 2.18 and mushroom soup 1.32 and a few other misc. items.
Total 29.47


Week 5
September 12-18
Sam left on the 12th and came home on the 23rd. I went out of town from the 14th-17th. So Monday and Tuesday and Sunday were the only days I was home. Monday and Tuesday was me and the three girls and when I got back it was just me.

  • Monday
    • scrambled eggs
    • pizza rolls 
    • chicken strips and mac and cheese
  • Tuesday
    • cereal
    • pb&j
    • Chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes and corn
  • Wednesday I left for Abq. for our women's conference. We ate out the whole time so I couldn't really include that. I came back Saturday night.
  • Sunday
    • Out to Denny's with friends, their treat.
I didn't need anything from the store for monday and tuesday. But I did buy the house sitter a pack of cookies 2.98. 


Weekly budget          83.32
spent week 4&5      - 32.45
                                50.87 under budget


Amount left in budget 73.29






                The 50 Cent Meal Challenge 
                         Track Tina's progress 


No comments:

Post a Comment